I try to make my writing and talks widely accessible as possible. To that end, you can read copies or drafts of most things I’ve worked on from links on this page.
- Owens, T (Forthcoming). The Theory and Craft of Digital Preservation: An Introduction. Johns Hopkins University Press. Baltimore, MD.
- Owens, T. (2015). Designing Online Communities: How Designers, Developers, Community Managers, and Software Structure Discourse and Knowledge Production on the Web. Peter Lang, New York.
- Owens, T. (2016). Curating in the Open: A Case for Iteratively and Openly Publishing Curatorial Research on the Web. Curator: The Museum Journal. 59 (4), 427–442. DOI: 10.1111/cura.12168
- Marx, M., Owens, T. (June, 2015). The National Digital Platform for Libraries and Museums Collaborating on tools and services across organizations.American Libraries.
- Owens, T. (2015). Lego, Handcraft, and Costumed Zombies: What Zombies do on Flickr. New Directions in Folklore 13 (1), 17-92.
- Sheridan, K., Halverson, E, Litts, B., Brahms, L.,Jacobs-Priebe, L., Owens, T. (2015). Learning in the making: A comparative case study of three makerspaces Harvard Educational Review 84 (4), 505-531.
- Owens, T. (2013) Digital Cultural Heritage and the Crowd. Curator: The Museum Journal, Vol. 56. Iss. 1.
- Altman, M., Bailey, J., Cariani, K., Gallinger, M., Mandelbaum, J., Owens, T. (2013). NDSA Storage Report: Reflections on National Digital Stewardship Alliance Member Approaches to Preservation Storage Technologies. D-Lib. Vol 19. Iss 5.
- Gibbs, F., & Owens, T. (2012). Building Better Digital Humanities Tools: Toward Broader Audiences and User-Centered Designs. Digital Humanities Quarterly. Vol 6. Iss 2.
- Lauren, A., Bailey, J., & Owens, T. (2012). Viewshare and the Kress Collection: Creating, Sharing, and Rapidly Prototyping Visual Interfaces to Cultural Heritage Collection Data. D-Lib. Vol 18. Iss 12.
- Owens, T. (2012). Defining Data for Humanists: Text, Artifact, Information or Evidence? The Journal of Digital Humanities. Vol 1. Iss 1.
- Owens, T. & Bailey, J. (October, 2012). Viewshare: Digital Interfaces as Scholarly Activity. Perspectives on History.
- Owens, T. J. (2012). Tripadvisor rates Einstein: Using the social web to unpack the public meanings of a cultural heritage site. The International Journal of Web Based Communities. Vol. 8. Iss. 1.
- Owens, T. J. (2009). Going to school with Madame Curie and Mr. Einstein: Gender roles in children’s science biographies. Cultural Studies of Science Education. Vol 4. Iss.
Book Chapters & Conference Proceedings
- Owens, T. (Forthcoming) Digital Sources & Digital Archives: The Evidentiary Basis of Digital History. In Companion to Digital History. Edited by David Staley. Wiley, New York, NY.
- Owens, T., Sands, A., Reynolds, E., Neal, J., Mayeaux, S., Marx, M. (Forthcoming). Digital Infrastructures that Embody Library Principles: The IMLS national digital platform as a framework for digital library tools and services. In Applying Library Values to Emerging Technology: Tips and Techniques for Advancing within Your Mission. Association of College and Research Libraries. Chicago, IL.
- Owens, T. (Forthcoming). Archives as a Service: From Archivist as Producer & Provider to Archivist as Facilitator and Enabler. In Archival Values: Essays in Honor of Mark Greene. Society of American Archivists, Washington, DC.
- Owens, T., Wilson, C. (2015). Roles and Responsibilities for Sustaining Open Source Platforms and Tools. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Digital Preservation.
- Phillips, M., Bailey, J., Goethals, A., & Owens, T. (2013). The NDSA Levels of Digital Preservation: An Explanation and Uses. In Proceedings of the 2013 IS&T Archiving Conference.
- Mir, R., & Owens, T. (2013). Modeling Indigenous Peoples: Unpacking Ideology in Sid Meier’s Colonization. In Playing with the Past: Digital Games and the Simulation of History. Bloomsbury Press, NY.
- Gibbs, F., & Owens, T. (2013). The Hermeneutics of Data and Historical Writing. In Writing History in the Digital Age. University of Michigan Press. Ann Arbor, MI.
- Owens, T. (2013). Mr. Moo’s First RPG: Rules, Discussion and the Instructional Implications of Collective Intelligence on the Open Web. In Rhetoric/Composition/Play: How Electronic Games Mediate Composition Theory and Practice (and Vice Versa). Palgrave Macmillan, NY.
- Owens, T. (2012). The Public Course Blog: The Required Reading We Write Ourselves for the Course That Never Ends. In Debates in the Digital Humanities. University Of Minnesota Press. Minneapolis, MN.
- Owens, T. (2011). Online Book Communities. In The Encyclopedia of Social Networking. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Owens, T. (2008). Zotero: Making Student Research Transparent. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning. Madison WI.
- Chmiel, M., & Owens, T. (2006). Anti-evolution Literature and its Hidden Pedagogical Value: Confronting the Creationism Dilemma. In Proceedings of the Eighth International History, Philosophy, and Sociology in Science Teaching Conference. Leeds, UK.
- Owens, T (2017) Review of When We Are No More: How Digital Memory Is Shaping Our Future. American Archivist. Vol 80. Iss 1.
- Owens, T. & Chmiel, M. (2013). Learning Technology as Infrastructure for Innovation. Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy. Iss. 4.
- Owens, T. (2012). A Review of “Digital Media: Technology and Social Challenges of the Interactive World.” Journal of Archival Organization. Vol. 10. Iss. 1.
- Owens, T. (2011). A Review of “Online Interviewing.” The Information Society. Vol. 27. Iss. 3.
- Owens, T. (May, 2017). Digital infrastructures that embody library principles: The IMLS national digital platform as a framework for digital library tools and services. Closing Keynote, Digital Initiatives Symposium, San Diego, CA.
- Owens, T. (December, 2016). The IMLS national digital platform and your library. Opening Keynote, Maryland Tech Connect, Shady Grove, MD.
- Owens, T. (August, 2016). From content to services, use & engagement: Next steps for IMLS’s national digital platform priority. Opening Keynote, Upper Midwest Digital Collections Conference. Davenport, IA.
- Owens, T. (May, 2016). Bridging contexts and communities: An update on IMLS’s national digital platform priority. Opening Keynote, Texas Conference on Digital Libraries, Austin, TX.
- Owens, T. (October, 2015). People, communities and platforms: Digital cultural heritage and the web. Opening Keynote, National Digital Forum. Wellington, NZ
- Owens, T. (2012, November). Do Less More Often: An Approach to Digital Strategy for Cultural Heritage Organizations. Opening Keynote, Connecticut Digital Initiatives Forum, Hartford, CT.